Below you’ll see our handy comparison table that offers direct comparisons between various key features on many of the best cordless mowers available in 2016. The table contains 7 columns with the following information:
- The mower model name and picture
- The power of the motor in Watts
- The cutting width in centimetres
- The grass collection box capacity in litres
- Other unique or notable features
- Price guide – Based on the approximate current selling price from Amazon. The prices change frequently depending on availability and special offers. Generally speaking £ = Under £200, ££ = £200 – £250, £££ = £250 – £400, ££££ = £400+
- Rating – The average user rating from Amazon UK reviews. This gives a good indication of how satisfied people are with their purchase.
Below the mower comparison guide you’ll see some information on what to look for in an cordless lawn mower, as well as excerpts from more detailed reviews. Please have a read through the full review if you see something of interest.
|Manufacturer and Model||Power (Watts)||Cutting Width (cm)||Grass Box Capacity (litres)||Other features||Price||Rating|
Greenworks Tools G-Max 40cm Cordless Mower
|1100||40||50||Mulching ability, 6 position cutting height||£££||3.5|
Trueshopping battery powered electric lawn mower
|900||30||30||5 hours running time||££||4.0|
Evopower EVO1536Li Electric Lawn Mower
Bosch Rotak 37 Cordless Electric Mower
Black & Decker CLM3820L2 Lawn Mower
Einhell GE-CM Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
|36||40||2 batteries included||£££||4.0|
WORX WG776E 40 V Lithium-Ion Cordless 33cm Lawn Mower
|33||30||'Mute' optimum noise reduction||£££||4.0|
Ryobi OLM1833H Cordless Lawn Mower
|Makita DLM380Z Cordless Lawn Mower||620||38||40||££||4.5|
Ego 20 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower
|56v||50||60||Mulching, bagging and side discharge functionality||££££||5.0|
Flymo Mighti-Mo Cordless Lawn Mower
The Rise of Cordless Lawn Mowers
Whilst still considered quite a recent innovation, and not necessarily an essential feature for a number of reasons that we’ll go into, there is no denying that battery powered or ‘cordless’ lawn mowers are becoming increasingly popular among home owners. Despite the disadvantages there are also many good reasons why buying a cordless lawn mower might be the right choice for you.
The Goldilocks effect
One way to think of cordless lawn mowers is as a happy medium, just like in the famous fairy tale, neither too hot nor cold. If your garden is large enough to warrant a small petrol powered mower, but you would rather do without all the fumes, engine maintenance and noise that comes with one, then a battery mower could well be your best option. Similarly if your garden isn’t particularly large but is littered with obstructions such as shrubs and fencing, or your nearest power socket is in a particularly inconvenient location, then again cordless could be the way to go.
One of the major factors that has driven the recent surge in popularity of cordless lawn mowers is the constant improvements to battery technology. It’s interesting to note that battery powered lawn mowers themselves are not a new idea, there are models dating back as far as the 1970’s. The difference however is that these early models were about 10 times the weight of their modern counterparts. The reason? The weight of the batteries. Not only does modern lithium ion technology mean today’s batteries are lighter than ever, but they are also far more efficient, retaining charge for longer and proving far more useful as a result. The other great advantage of lithium ion batteries is that unlike older types of rechargeable battery, they don’t suffer from what’s known as a ‘memory effect’. This used to be a problem whereby a battery would lose its ability to charge fully if it had not been fully discharged previously. This is not a problem with lithium ion batteries, they can be partially discharged, or charged with no lasting adverse effects for far longer.
Advantages of Cordless Lawn Mowers
- Freedom of movement allows you to travel anywhere on your lawn without having to worry about tripping over a power cable, or worse accidentally cutting through it.
- The freedom of petrol power without the noise. Petrol mowers are noisy, no doubt about it, and if you live next to neighbours who are particularly sensitive to loud noise, yet plugging into the mains simply isn’t an option for you. then a cordless lawn mower could be your best, and perhaps even only option
- Quick charge time. In the past rechargeable batteries were notorious for taking hours and hours to charge, these days this problem has largely disappeared with some models taking less than an hour to reach full charge. Better still you’ll find that some models come with two batteries, so you can have one on charge as you use the lawn mower
Disadvantages of Cordless Lawn Mowers
- Heavier than corded mowers. The extra weight of the battery can add 5 or 10 kilos to the overall weight of the lawn mower, so if your garden is particularly hilly or you don’t have the strength you once did then you might want to think carefully before investing in some models
- Expensive. Unfortunately despite the advances in technology, one thing hasn’t yet caught up with cordless lawn mowers and that’s the price. Often retailing at at least double the price of their mains powered counterparts, cordless mowers are by no means a cheap investment.
The biggest players on the market as far as cordless lawn mowers go are Bosch, Greenworks, Black & Decker, and Worx. Bosch in particular have a lot of experience in this field, being one of the first manufacturers to fully exploit the advantages of lithium ion technology, in combination with nearly a century of expertise in designing tools including lawn mowers.
Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews
Here is an excerpt from our review of a mower produced by one of the biggest players in the cordless mower market, for further Green works lawn mower reviews, plus reviews of their other tools click here.
Greenworks Battery Powered Lawn Mower
Green by name, green by nature, and indeed green in appearance, this innovative mower features not only cordless electric technology, but has the added benefit of being both a conventional lawn mower and mulching mower all in one. Intrigued? You should be, let’s take a closer look…
First things first this mower ticks all of the ‘must have’ boxes:
- 50 litre grass collection box, means more time mowing, less time spent emptying grass
- 20-70mm cutting height adjustment, with 6 increments, means lawns of various states of neglect can be trimmed equally as well
- Steel cutting blade, a strong cutting surface that can be sharpened ensuring consistent cutting performance
- 40cm blade cutting width
What this mower also features are several more standout/unique features set it aside from other mowers of a similar size and cost.