Viking Quality at a Great Price-to-Performance Ratio
TheViking MB 248 T is just about everything one can possibly ask for in an affordable self-propelled lawnmower. It’s a rear-wheel drive, only one speed but at this price point bells and whistles are nowhere near as important as performance and reliability. Read on for the nitty gritty of this Viking lawn mower review.
This 27kg lawnmower feels solid all over with its sheet steel chassis and new Briggs & Stratton 450-series petrol engine. This 148cc engine is very popular for a good reason. It is robust and sounds and feels like it’ll always deliver its rated 2.4hp power consistently and reliably without fail. The Viking MB 248 T’s high-lift rotary blade cuts beautifully and quickly in every pass. The mower gathers cut grass and even big leaves into its sturdy grass catcher box of large 55-liter capacity. You’ll love the quick-changing spring-loaded lever that lets you set 7 grass-cutting heights from 25mm to 75mm.
The wheels are smallish compared to similarly-prized models, but as they say, looks can be deceiving. You’ll enjoy the smooth and perfectly balanced wheels coupled with top-quality ball bearings. This mower has great maneuverability to get at uneven and hard to reach places. Put it in the self-propelled mode and it’ll require not much pushing to effortlessly mow up to a fairly good-sized lawn. Like you’ll notice in all Viking petrol lawn mower reviews, the mower features a foldable handlebar for easy transport and storage
The housing and motion of the blade lift the grass up for the cleanest cut. This clean-cut kid will remind people of the Bob Dylan song of the same name: They said “Congratulations, you got what it takes,” they sent him back into the rat race without any brakes.
- Top-in-class performance and sturdiness.
- Cuts beautifully and swiftly to leave behind attraction cutting patterns.
- 7 levels of adjustable cutting heights from 25-70mm.
- Equipped with large quick-empty 55-liter grass catcher box so you won’t have to empty too often. In addition, the box has a built-in grass level indicator to let you know when.
- Viking mowers are made by Stihl, so you know there’s a large support network.
- Weak self-propelled mode, this mower needs pushing for best results.
- The manufacturer rated this mower suitable for yards up to 1200 square meters – a bit exaggerated. That’s almost a quarter of a football field, or assuming a 30m x 40m yard, one would have to make 65 passes of 40m with this 18-inch mower.
- At 27kg, this mower is on the heavier side so be mindful of this if your lawn has sizable areas of incline.