The World’s Most Affordable Zero Turn Lawn Tractor is Big on Performance
This Husqvarna Zero Turn mower review is about the Husqvarna Z246i, the most affordable zero-turn lawn tractor available. You’ll know this riding mower means business right away from its rugged solidity and industrial appearance. It’s actually rather compact though it weighs 580 pounds. It’s suitable for medium-sized and large multiple-acre yards.
The Husqvarna Z246i’s 46-inch cutting bladeswhip around at a speed of 16,600 fpm. The engine is the 724cc Briggs & Stratton Endurance V-Twin at 28hp, enough to push this mower forward to a top speed of 6.5 mph, and 3.5 mph reverse. The rated mowing productivity is up to 2.4 acres per hour. It has 3-in-1 cutting capability: rear bag, side discharge, and mulch. It runs on a maintenance-free hydrostatic transmission drive system.
Let’s get on this riding mower for a test drive. You’ll notice that there’s no steering wheel. Driving is worked by foot pedals and two steering bars. It has a keyless ignition system known as Husqvarna Smart Switch. You hit a fat button like some sports cars to turn it on. Vibration is more than acceptable on the spring-damped high-back seat. The first thing most people like to do after turning on the ignition is to test the zero turn. What does it mean? You can spin the mower around without making a turning circumference like a car. It’s pretty cool, and it will only get cooler when you twist and turn to get at all those hard-to-reach places.
Nobody can resist looking around to admire the beautiful cutting patterns of Husqvarna’s Air Induction Mowing Technology. For a mower it rides superbly. It is well-balanced from front to back and side to side. You’ll like the automatic park break system that engages or disengages intuitively with the movement of the steering bars. As all Husqvarna Zero Turn reviews noted, cleanup is a breeze if you remember to do it after every use.
- Robust twin-blade cutting deck constructed of 13ga steel.
- Cuts fast, smooth and even.
- 6 cutting heights from 1.5 to 4 inches.
- Anti-scalp wheels will not ruin the lawn.
- Everything was designed for easy access and comfort. Headlights, interior LED lights and cup holder included.
- Beefy anti-slip foot rests and mounts.
- Digital hour meter shows preprogrammed service intervals.
- Upgradeable to larger collectors and optional accessories.
- The warranty period is 3 years.
- The steering bars will take some practice.
- Below average fuel consumption.
- No gas level meter or sight glass.